Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Far be it for me to be humble - bound or not....

I've recently uncovered yet another yoga misnomer - Humbly Bound Warrior Pose.  I have used the term - many times.  You might know the pose I mean - virabhadrasana (warrior) baddha hasta (bound hands behind the back) adho mukha (downward facing) - or described another way - adho mukha anahatasana (downward facing heart opening pose).  Its the one that comes out of warrior one- you bend your torso toward the floor with your hands interlaced behind you and they come up overhead to get a front shoulder stretch.

Well Virabhadra, the warrior, should never be described as humble.  As Cheryl Hall Oliver states, there is no stiuation where these two words should be paired together.  sort of like an oxymoron - I'm going out on a limb and making the connection that exhaulted warrior likely isn't accurate either - I've used that as the counter pose - virabhadrasana one with hands interlaced behind and leaning back toward upper back - back bend.

so now i have to rid myself of this samskara - ingrained habit - of denigrating the fierceness of Virabharda - warrior by calling him humble.  OK.  Done. 

On with the day - letting that set into my consciousness. 

One last tidbit - many times the obvious escapes me - so presuming I'm not the only one - have you wondered what Yogini means ???  It is the female variation of Yogi.  and the last 'i' is two beats long.  sounds like yogeneee.   Yogini - Female form of yogi.  Can a female warrior be humble ?  No - haven't we learned anything ?!  Humble and warrior not to be paired.

Namaste
Yogini Lisa
OMG - is that George W?  thats just plain wrong !!!!!    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment