Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What is Yoga?

I quote (paraphrase) Nicolai Bachman, 'The Yoga Sutra-s of Patanjali, the preeminent text on yoga as a philosophy, explains in detail how our heart-mind field works and provides excellent ways of refining our human being.....encouraging us to act with keen discernment for the benefit of all sentient beings.  Yoga is truly a way of life that emphasizes friendliness, compassion, understanding, health and true lasting inner happiness.'

All of that over just this lifetime is a lot to ask - that is why we call it a practice and that is why I believe in reincarnation and the laws of karma.

I have met self proclaimed yogis/yoginis who walk this path in name only.

I have met strict vegetarians who treat human beings poorly.

I have my own challenges and things to work on - which is why this is indeed a practice and it may take lifetimes. 

But no gain is ever reversed along the path. 

So I pray for continued guidance and tolerance for self first then for others along our journey. 

And I hope to live up to the advice given me by another one of my teachers;  for me to always have the ability and mindfulness to notice the small miracles that surround me every moment.  Thank you Ed Cardinal !

Namaskara

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I love that, "No gain is ever reversed along the path." Beautiful! Thank you, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a paraphrase from the Bhagavad Gita - one of the classic yogic texts. Krishna says it to Arjuna. I'm glad you like it - though after overnight reflection I wondered how that weighed up against negative karma - how people can create negative karma for themselves by knowingly inappropriate actions.....hmmmm..for further discussion

    ReplyDelete